Monday, October 6, 2008

Basketball in the Garage

Is it up to one person to determine the value of something, only if for money, but you cannot tell some one else how much they value something in state of mind? There are moments in your life that are priceless to you, which no one else can experience, or take away from you. But there are also items that are valuable to you money wise. Each of these moments or items is special to you for certain reasons that no one can change.

There are a lot of moments that very valuable to me, but this has to be the best. My most valuable memory was when my mom and I used to play basket ball in our garage at night. When I was three years old night my mom and I would go in to the basement after dinner and play basketball. It was Wednesday night the urge surged through me as I waited for dinner to be ended. I ate my dinner quickly, went down in the garage and started practicing. I felt the small bumps of the orange ball in my hand I released and it swooshed I knew tonight something good was going to happen. My mom came down after dishes and we played, she was skillful with the ball, but I knew all her tricks and stole the ball from her. After a while the game was tied. It was my moms ball, she maneuvered around me, went up to the hoop and slam dunk. The noise echoed in my ears, as I heard the hoop go crunch and the entire rim broke off. For a while I was a little sad, then we were on the ground laughing, it was so funny and it was one of the best times of my life.

There are not many items that I have that are worth very much financial value, but my ipod is probably my most valuable. I’m bored and I feel the need to get a good laugh. I take out my ipod, turn off the hold, and wait for it too come to life. I scroll through the options until I come to video, click and watch as my favorite comedian comes to the screen with his ventriloquist dummies. Jeff Dunham is the best. I sit back and watch for a while until I get bored with it so I switch to some rock and roll music. I sit back and relax, as my fellow soccer teammates argue on the bus ride back from a game.

There are not very many ways in which these two are similar but both of them bring warmth and happiness to me. Whether it is when I listen to my ipod, or think about playing basketball with my mom on Wednesday nights. There are a few differences. My ipod is special to me because I saved my money from working over the summer to be able to buy it because I wanted one extremely bad. But the memory is something that has been in my head since I was three and I will never forget it. If I had to choose between keeping my ipod and keeping the memory of playing basket ball with my mom, I would choose to keep the memory. The reason I would keep the memory is because, I would never be able to get it back and I would be devastated if I ever forgot it. But loosing my ipod wouldn’t be so bad because it is easily replaceable; it just takes a little bit of time and effort.

If I had to choose which one of these was most important to me I would probably say that my memory of playing basketball with my mom was most important. When ever I miss my mom, because I haven’t seen her in a while and I am sad and down in the dumps, I think about this memory and it helps me get through the day and reminds me that she loves me . I also always know that the next time I see her I will run up to her and give her a big hug and tell her how much I love her. My ipod can also help me through a day by relaxing me. But I think that my memory is far more important and makes me a lot happier when I think about it. I would much rather keep my memory over any thing of financial value to me, because I know that anything of financial value can be replaced.

2 comments:

tom said...

It is obvious that his favorite is his memory of playing basketball with his mom. He said so when he wrote his conclusion. Also he said that memory is good for him because he thinks aboutit when he is down in the dumps because he misses his mom.

His scene where he was playing basketball with his mom in his basement was vividly described. I could picture myself rushing through dinner so i could go downstairs and play basketball. I could picture him stealing the ball, and then breaking the hoop.

I think his organization was strong. He made it go one topic, then the next. I wasn't confused while i was reading it at all.

HOnsetly, i have no suggestions in the future. Although i do have to say this, one of your things was described better. Maybe next time try and describe them both just as good.

chris said...

you suck